More Christmas Time Quilts

So I know Christmas was over a month ago now. It feels like last year (ha!) but I made a quilt with my wonderfully quilty sister and I haven't shared it with you yet; so let's do it!

We made this quilt for Mom. It all started with a big box of scraps from years worth of sewing. Scraps from clothes that were made, baby things and home decor. Now what this left us with was a big stack of mix and match fabrics and nothing really going together. What it needed was a unifying pattern -- along came Kaleidoscopic.
Mom and Dad Holding it up
The pattern fit perfectly with the scrappy nature of the fabric and Sister chose the neutral tan background color which really helps bring it together. We had to go with the medallion version of kaleidoscopic to keep it from getting too busy and losing the pattern. I scoured the Kaleidoscopic QAL from last summer to get that idea!

The back is pieced with the left over blocks and the FMQ is seen better here. Those 'dots' are where I went over the middle of the medallions to hide where they didn't match up perfectly! We used a flannel on the back and I'm not sure if it was the fabric or the mix-n-match fabrics on top but something gave me an awful time quilting this thing! 
Here's a little better detail of the quilting. I did loops in loops for the center medallions and then filled in around the neutral with random quilting. I wrote Mom, Kelly, Sister, 2011 and other little things to make it special. The thread broke about every 30 seconds in some spots, but I kept on trucking. This quilt was not going to win. I won that quilt battle and finished up just before Christmas Eve!

When my mom opened it she said, "Now I have a quilt for watching TV too!" You see we started this quilt giving tradition a few years ago with a quilt for my Uncle, then my Dad, then Grandpa and another Uncle. You see where this went...all the men got quilts first and now we are onto the women. Mom and my Aunt got theirs this year (which I can't find the picture I took of it!, arg!). But here is a photo of the quilt I made for my dad a few years ago now...before I started 'quilting' them; this one I 'tied' with buttons. Another man quilt, I'm getting well versed in this!

Thanks for reading my wordy post about Christmas quilts...now we can get onto 2012 projects and leave 2011 in the past!
Cheers!
Kelly

linking up to these great parties all week and Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

19 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

I love the scrappy kaleidoscope, brilliant! :)

Katy Cameron said...

The quilting looks fab, even if it did give you fits. Love the pic of your mum and dad standing scrutinising it :oD

Jennifer said...

The kaleidoscope is great! the quilting is amazing!! great work!

Teje said...

Hi Kelly! Both of the quilts are beautiful! Kaleidoscope pattern is wonderful and you have arranged the colours and fabrics so well! I love the way how the colours change! Hmmm...I should make more quilts!
x Teje

Claire Jain said...

Great quilt! I like the quilting, too :-D

Sofia L said...

Those are some really great looking quilts

Krista said...

hehehe, man quilts! I want to make an airplane themed quilt for my brother for his graduation from engineering school. I think I still have a year yet to make that happen! As for your mother's quilt, I LOVE it! Kaleidoscope quilts are a favorite of mine, love that you went with a trickier layout for the prints in order to make that medallion pattern.

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your Mom will enjoy looking at all of the scraps and remembering the original projects. The quilting is awesome!

Visiting from Fabric Tuesday, Debra

Lisa Ann said...

How nice that you made this with your sister. I'm sure your mom will love that it was made from fabrics from other projects. I love it!

Michelle said...

Your kaleidoscope is great -- love the colors!

Sue Daurio said...

Well Happy belated New Year to you! Love the quilting on the kaleidoscope quilt, I have one waiting to be quilted and may use some of yours if you don't mind. Just lovely.

Katie said...

Wow, that's a fantastic quilt. I love kaleidoscopes so much! Your mom must have been thrilled!

Fabrics N Quilts said...

Great quilts! So great to have it be a family affair! Whoop Whoop!

Carla said...

The scrappy kaleidoscope is so pretty! Love it!

Alycia said...

Great quilts. I love how you unified the scraps!! Great job.

krisgray said...

Very pretty! Love your quilting - isn't that pain when the thread doesn't cooperate? It's like issuing a challenge. My last quilt did that, too. Great tradition, too!

Sarah Craig said...

That is a beautiful kaleidoscope quilt - I just love the way your colors work together! Whoop whoop!!

harleywife57 said...

WOW ! It's just amazing !!!! whoop whoop !! Your quilts are beautiful ! And this one is extra extra special !

Alisa said...

The Kalaidescope quilt is fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...