Madrona Road Mini-Quilt

The Modern Quilting Guild sponsored a fabric challenge featuring Madrona Road from Violet Craft and Michael Miller Fabrics. The PMQG challenged its members to make a small item inspired by a word or phrase.
MQG Madrona Road Challenge Mini Quilt
I used the text fabric that is printed with a beautiful story about a girl who builds a new life for her self and her family in the Pacific Northwest. I used the line 'Raised in the Pacific Northwest' and set it in a vase of flowers that reminds me of late Oregon summer.
MQG Madrona Road Challenge Mini Quilt
A classic image that fits Madrona Roads's flowers and art deco feel of the stripes, text, doodles. I cut out the different flowers and shapes with scissors and stitched down everything on a borrowed sewing machine. I also used heat n' bond to set the shapes. The background quilting is simpler than what I would have done with my Viking. There for surely would have been some swirls in there! 
Madrona Road MQG Challenge
I like how the frame turned out, it was out of necessity as the text just wasn't big enough to do it all. The cornerstone element is something I would like to explore more, I have yet to find the perfect block to do it with!
MQG Madrona Road Challenge Mini Quilt
On the back I used a couple triangles in each corner to make a place for a hanger or dowel to slide in so it is easily hung up on the wall. 
Madrone road challenge quilt back
That little hand is baby J's ;-) one of his finger nails is painted bright red, just like Mommies toes!
This challenge was my second sign-up for PMQG and it was just as fun as the swap! Seeing all the interpretations of the fabric and modern quilting is inspiring as always! Have a wonderful week!

Cheers, 
Kelly 

2 comments:

tubakk said...

Beautiful. I like the way you did on the back side to hang it up.

Becky said...

Very nice! I love the PNW too :-). I didn't know it had this story. I may have to find some fabric on-line! Wish I lived a bit closer to PDX and could join the fun there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...