Mini Quilt Finishes for PMQG

Hello there! I admit it, I have been on Instagram sharing away the sewing, gardening and even my adorable little guy and hardly even checking in over here. I succumbed to the IG bandwagon, and it's really fun! So no apologies, just come on over and find me there, it's bluebirdsews

So I've got a couple of mini quilt finishes for you today. Both were made for challenges run through my awesome guild, Portland Modern Quilt Guild


The first was sponsored by Michael Miller, they provided us with a new line: Glitz. I wasn't in love with the fabrics to start with but that's what a challenge is all about; using something that is a bit out of your comfort zone.

I knew I wanted to make a paper pieced block for my mini and so I hopped on over to quilterscache and chose Wild Zinnias. It has an art deco feel to it with the gold metallic and the sharp edges. I finished it with simple straight line quilting echoing the design. It measures 13" square. 


The second challenge is sponsored by Robert Kaufman they sent PNW guilds another metallic fabric but this has a much more natural look to it. I had a plan for it but was diverted when I got an idea in my head for a circle block using a wedge template. The moon idea popped into my head one night just before bed and when the deadline was extended a few days I jumped in a whipped this up in a just a couple days. It measures 25" round.


The best part about this quilt is the binding. I made it match the design of the quilt having black at the edge too. I really like that little bit. Quilting is simple straight line in the ditch between each wedge. 


I enjoyed the challenge of the two quite different fabrics. Our guild has a couple more challenges coming up and am looking forward to tackling those too. I think I've got a plan for the MQG fabrics, now just waiting for a chance to stitch them up between everything else going on. 
What are you working on?

Cheers, 
Kelly 

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That MOON!! I love it so much! Great use of the fabrics they gave you! I may copy you in the near future (don't worry, I will give you credit :) ). I've been thinking about making a moon quilt for a long time.

Kat said...

I really like your moon! Neat idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...