Rainbow Scrappy: Log Cabin Quilt

Remember once upon a time when I was making rainbow inspired goodness? Well that never really stopped, I have been trucking on this quilt for just a year and a half. I made the first block on a rainbow whim and that was going to be it. A big pillow I thought. I made another for the back but I couldn't stop making them.


I made a 6 block top and showed it to the hubby. He said quilts need to be big - and I agreed. I hate that when the toes stick out or the arms aren't quite covered. So I made 3 more blocks and fudged it together with the first 6. It measures 76" x 82". All the blocks are total improv. No measuring with anything other than my eye. So making them all fit together with a little white around the edges to break up the colors was a little tricky. But I made it happen. One strip, one color and one scrap at a time.

Rainbow Log Cabin Scrappy Quilt

The scraps really do tell the story of  my quilting life. There are not so pretty fabrics in there; ones that were gifted to me or that I had long before Blue Bird Sews. There is a huge amount of swapped scraps most notably from Spontaneous Threads when I won a box of scraps from her a while back. Then there was an amazing grab bag of modern scraps from one of my favorite thrift stores. There was also Stashtacular from 2 summers ago where I was the beneficiary of some wonderful and tragic prints.

Rainbow Log Cabin Scrappy Quilt

The other notable aspect of this quilt is the quilting. I knew I wanted to practice hard core on it but I didn't know what patterns or ideas exactly. So I just sat down and first made little loops on the white boarders. They looked adorable so I did the DS Quilts loop d' loop on one of the blocks. Then I wanted to practice some swirls so I did that but wasn't satisfied with the density so I went back and filled in with circles. I did two of the blocks with different boarders. I did more swirls and I did repeating lines.

Rainbow Log Cabin Scrappy Quilt

I did it all and I learned a bunch about how my machine jumps when I let go of the quilt. About how I can't move my left hand without losing total control over the design. And about my stitch regularity and how it needs a lot of work. And that is just what this quilt was for. Testing, growing and learning.

Rainbow Log Cabin Scrappy Quilt

The last little bits that are incredible about this quilt is the backing and binding. Backing in rainbow vintage sheet and binding in vintage black on white polka dots. Perfect.

Rainbow Log Cabin Scrappy Quilt

Have a wonderful weekend! I will be doing a holiday market at the Portland Waldorf School on Saturday in Milwaukie. I am hoping there are lots of people who need a quilt (but not this one)!

Cheers!
Kelly

16 comments:

Georgi said...

LOVE your scrappy and kinda wonky rainbow quilt!! I think your quilting turned out fabulous ~ I'm still scared of FMQ, but I know it takes practice. :)

Dawn said...

Now that is one happy wonderful quilt! I love that you got to practice FMQ and used fabric from your stash. A win-win all around.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous rainbow goodness! Love how the sashing makes the blocks float and perfect binding and backing! Hope the market goes well :-)

Spontaneous Threads said...

Gosh talk about something being more wonderful than the sum of it's parts!! Fun quilt Kelly. It was a step back in time looking for the fabrics in the quilt. Perfect use for all those bits that just never make it into anything else!!

Jasmine said...

I love how you tried the different FMQ. It all flows together so well.

Catskill Quilter said...

Kelly, I LOVE this quilt! The colors are fun and 'happy-making!'

Renee said...

Rainbow scrappy quilts are probably my favorite, I am overdue to make another one. Yours turned out wonderfully!

Kat said...

Love this! The colors in the top are so rich. Congrats on the finish!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Lovely quilt! Perfect backing!

Rachel said...

Looks great!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

what a gorgeous log cabin quilt, fab colours :D

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Your quilt brings a smile with all those cheerful blocks. Wonderful and fabulous quilt.

Laney said...

I love your colorful scrappy quilt. Working in an improve fashion is so much fun! The bak and binding are perfect for it, too! Nice job :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is beautiful! I am a big fan of scrappy quilts right now and have fun with something really similar. What a great to practice your quilting, too.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

Scrappy quilts are absolutely my FAVORITE, and this one is so gorgeous! I love all of the bright colors, and your quilting looks great!

Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

My eye was caught by several makes, of course!, in your 2013 collage, but this one I have to comment about. Some of my favorite quilts are more than the sum of their parts. Strips are my least favorite scrap, but you made them rock!

Thanks for your comment on my "just thinking" post. You ARE awesome =)